Staff Back-End Engineer
Job Title: Staff Back-End Engineer
Location: Santa Barbara, CA or Remote
We are looking for a talented Staff Backend Engineer who is excellent at solving problems and has a passion for collaborating with team members. This Staff Backend Engineer will contribute to the core of MixMode, surfacing intuitive experiences inside our platform to create a seamless experience. This individual will be a results-oriented engineer who is comfortable with higher levels of ambiguity. They will own code all the way through to production and verify it’s solving the right problem for the customer. Additionally, they will understand the reasoning behind the key product and design decisions and contribute good solutions to implementation and architecture discussions. They will tackle complex architectural challenges, apply architectural standards and start using them on new projects. This is a remote or in-person position.
What you'll be doing (responsibilities):
- Drive large, complex projects autonomously, from technical design to launch. I.E. Own code from design to deployment, through the implementation and automated testing phases.
- Keep up to date on developments in the technology landscape, and form well thought out opinions as to whether and how MixMode should embrace them. Regularly review the MixMode architecture for design and performance improvements.
- Lead code reviews & documentation.
- Determine plan-of-attack on large projects, and be able to break tasks down into small deliverables.
- Help to fix bugs and production issues as they arise.
- Collaborate with cross-functional team members to influence product strategy and direction.
- Lead key initiatives to improve the MixMode platform.
- Provide technical mentorship to other engineers on the team.
What you'll need to bring (qualifications):
- At least 10 years of experience in an engineering role at a software company.
- An extensive background in back-end engineering, dealing with large request/data volume, API design and implementation, automated testing, and deployment and monitoring of features.
- Able to technically lead a product initiative from design to production.
- Able to guide scaling a platform across distributed services.
- Able to learn and understand new technologies quickly.
- Multiple years of Java and Scala experience at depth.
- Strong competency in database query languages like SQL/NoSQL/ElasticSearch, with knowledge on how to optimize performance at scale. Experience with database technologies that deal with large data (think terabytes).
- Extensive Experience working with a major cloud platform (AWS, GCP, Azure).
- Experience with Queueing and Distributed log message technologies like Kafka.
- Extensive Experience with Container image technologies including Docker, Helm, and Kubernetes.
- Experience with large data ingestion pipelines that may or may not use streaming frameworks like Spark/Flink.
- Experience being on-call, using monitoring tools and log aggregators to troubleshoot and resolve production issues.
Other things we'd love to see (nice to have):
- Knowledge of distributed and big-data tools libraries such as Apache Flink, Apache Pinot.
- Experience with service-mesh technologies like Istio.
- Python, GoLang, and/or Node.js experience.
- Familiar with GraphQL.
- Experience with Machine Learning technologies and theories (K-means, Neural Nets, generative models).
Compensation and benefits are competitive based on industry standards. Benefits for full-time team members include:
- Healthcare (Medical, Dental, Vision)
- Basic Life and AD&D (option to purchase additional Voluntary Life Insurance)
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
- Employee Assistance Program
- 401(k) with employer match
- Paid Holidays & Flexible Paid Time Off (PTO)
MixMode is a no-rules-required Cybersecurity platform, serving large enterprises with big data environments across a variety of industries. MixMode delivers a patented, self-learning platform that acts as the Cybersecurity Intelligence Layer℠ to detect both known and unknown attacks, including novel attacks designed to bypass legacy cyber defenses. This is accomplished in real-time, across any cloud or on-premise data stream. Trusted by global entities in banking, public utilities and government sectors, industry cyber leaders rely on MixMode to protect their most critical assets. The platform dramatically improves the efficiency of SOC teams previously burdened with writing and tuning rules and manually searching for attacks. The MixMode platform can be deployed remotely, with no appliances, in under an hour with business outcomes evident within days. Backed by PSG and Entrada Ventures, the company is headquartered in the heart of downtown Santa Barbara, CA. Although we do have physical offices, our employees enjoy a remote-first work culture. Learn more at www.mixmode.ai.
Please note: MixMode does not accept unsolicited resumes from recruiters or employment agencies. In the event of a recruiter or agency submitting a resume or candidate without a signed agreement being in place, we explicitly reserve the right to pursue and hire such candidates without any financial obligation to the recruiter or agency. Any unsolicited resumes, including those submitted directly to hiring managers, are deemed to be the property of MixMode.